5 Easy Ways to Feel More Connected
It’s easy to feel disconnected these days. Between working from home, zoom meetings, errands, pick up and drop up, getting in a workout, making dinner – the list goes on and on. It’s even easier to forget why connection is so important. Humans are social beings. We have thrived as a species by connecting with others. With the rise of digital and virtual interactions, we no longer connect with others as much. This has led to increased feelings of loneliness, stress, and lower self-esteem. We need more human connection. Benefits of connection include an improved quality of life, longer lifespan, reduced stress, lower depression rates, boosting your mood, and higher self-esteem. Here are 5 easy ways to feel more connected!
- Give someone a hug – Giving someone a hug is an easy way to feel connected and it’s quick and free. Hugging builds a sense of safety, releases feel-good hormones like oxytocin, reduces stress, and gives your immune system a boost.
- Meet in person and ditch the phone – Plan lunch, coffee, or dinner with friends and put your phones away! Meeting face to face without your phone to distract you is a great way to reconnect and actively listen to those you care about.
- Say thank you and smile – Once again, it doesn’t have to take a lot of time or energy. Saying thank you and smiling is a great, simple way to remind ourselves we are not alone. The next time someone opens a door for you or does another small task for you, be sure to say thank you with a smile.
- Grounding – Go for a walk outside barefoot! Not only is it a relaxing and peaceful way to reconnect with yourself or others, but recent research has shown that contact of the human body with the surface of the Earth can prevent and lower chronic inflammation.
- Join a group – Whether it is for shared interests, volunteering, or just to get out of the house, joining a group is a great way to become involved in your community, meet people, and have purpose. Not sure where to start? Join our group, your CIRCLE! Your CIRCLE meets on the last Thursday of every month and is a great way for parents and caregivers to connect with other parents and caregivers.
Let us know your favorite ways to connect with others!